Scaling And Root Planning
Following the root planning and scaling treatments, you can quickly heal by following these points:
- You should not eat for at least two hours following surgery.
- For the first two to three days, only eat soft foods until it is easy for you to chew. You should only chew on the opposite side of the surgery area.
- Be careful if you are able to eat comfortably but feel a little numb, and avoid biting your lips or cheeks
- Avoid spicy and hot foods until your gums return to normal.
- You should not smoke for 72 hours after surgery. This will cause slow healing.
- You should take pain medicine if you were given anesthetic to reduce any irritation or pain. Some discomfort may occur for several days after surgery.
- After six hours of operation, apply an icepack for 20 minutes each.
- After the first 24 hours, you can reduce swelling or discomfort by gently washing your mouth with warm salt water, three times per day. One teaspoon of salt to a glass of warm, boiled water.
- Lightly brush the area after surgery the first night. Warm water is more gentle than using warm water to clean the toothbrush.
- The next day, floss lightly. In the week that follows, you can gradually return to your home care. You may experience some slight bleeding while flossing and brushing your treated area.
- Normally, brush and floss the affected areas.
- Use desensitizing toothpaste to brush your teeth. Use the instructions provided by us when you are using a mouth rinse.
- Avoid mouthwashes with alcohol
- If you still feel the discomfort and swelling after 3-4 days, please call our clininc.
- If you have any questions, feel free to contact our team